National Deaf Dogs Awareness
Genetic defects can cause a dog to be born deaf which is also congenital deafness. A dog can also lose its hearing due to a really bad ear infection, an injury to the ear, or maybe an experience which gradual hearing loss could happen due to the old age of the dog. It's also very important to know that exposure to loud noise can cause a temporary or permanent hearing loss.
As pet owners of deaf dogs, we have a few "paw-some," tips on how to care for your furry friend:
- Keep your deaf dog on a leash or in a fenced yard.
- Learn to communicate using hand signals with your fur baby.
- Buy a tag for your dog's collar that says (for example), "Fluffy is Deaf."
- Place a bell on your dog's collar so you can find him/her.
- Use a flashlight to signal to your dog that you want her attention.
At Forever Vets Animal Hospital, we believe that every dog should be cared for and loved no matter what!
Celebrate with us with this month and let's hear it for the dogs!